Who else loves an occasion to dress up? The girls have been counting down until the 4th of July, or “Fireworks Day” as they call it, since Easter. We’re not doing much to celebrate this year, but I did set aside some time to work with the kids on a red white and blue accessory. This DIY red white and blue flower headband, also called a flower crown, is so easy to make, you’ll want to make one for all your friends and family!
Materials for a DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband
For this project you will need:
A hot glue gun – I got my mini glue gun at Michaels for like $5.
Suede cord – Again, Michaels. This fat roll was on clearance!
Artificial flowers with leaves. I used carnations from Michaels, and they were pretty big. Let that be your guide when choosing flowers for your flower crown.
Felt or cloth (optional)
You guys, this DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband craft was so simple! I’ll walk you through it step by step. Please let me know in the comments how the craft worked out for you!
How to Make a DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband
- Suede cord
- Artificial flowers with leaves
- Felt or cloth (optional)
- Hot glue gun
- Cut 3 equal lengths of suede cord for each DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband. I cut mine all 30 inches long. There was about 6 inches extra on my daughters’ headbands that I had to trim off.
- Hot glue the end of the 3 suede cords together, then braid them into a rope of sorts. You’ll want the braid to be smaller than the circumference of your head, because you’ll be tying the headband on with ribbon. Hot glue the finished end of the braid. (Tip: Use a clipboard to hold the braid steady)
- Remove a flower from the stem and push it through the very middle of the suede cord braid. Hot glue the end to hold it in place. Optional: The plastic backs of the flowers can be scratchy, so you may want to hot glue a little bit of felt or cloth to the back of the DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband.
- Leave a good deal of space in between the middle flower and add 2 flowers on either side of it. The carnations I used for this DIY Red White and Blue Flower Headband are pretty large. If you glue them too close together, the whole thing can get a bunchy look.
- Hot glue some leaves in between the flowers to fill in some of the space. I ended up using 3 little leaf-bunches in between each flower on this crown.
- Finish off by glueing ribbon to the ends of each suede cord braid. Since this flower crown has a red white and blue theme, I used a starry ribbon to match the blue and red ribbon.
- That’s it! Tie the red white and blue flower headband on and you’ll be perfectly accessorized for all the July 4th festivities.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Also be sure and check out our other Summer Fun posts!