Probably my favorite thing about fall is that it’s finally cool enough to start using the oven on a regular basis. We love getting out the baking dishes and serving up something sweet. These Halloween Rose Cookies are a festive and tasty treat to set out at your next spooky holiday gathering!
This Halloween cookie recipe is pretty easy, which is important for me because my kids love helping out in the kitchen. When you’re making Halloween rose cookies, kids can add in the food coloring and may even want to try forming the roses.
You can usually find quality food coloring at your local grocery store. The gel coloring is more concentrated than dye food coloring, so you won’t need to use as much of it. We have mostly Wilton food coloring products in our pantry, available at Michaels stores or on Amazon.
These cookies don’t have to be only for Halloween either. You could just use orange dye and call them marigolds (cempasuchil) instead of roses, and set them out for Día de los Muertos! When you’re done making these orange and purple Halloween cookies, they add a deliciously festive pop of color to your table decor!
Halloween Rose Cookies Special Supplies
To make the rose shape, you need a large star-shaped tip for your piping bag because the dough is thick. I used a Wilton 1M tip, which again I got at Michaels (also found on Amazon). It looks like this.
For this recipe you really should use a stand mixer for the best results. However, if you simply don’t have a stand mixer or can’t borow one, a hand mixer should work just fine.
Halloween Rose Cookies
Brightly colored orange and purple Halloween sandwich cookies, perfect for a Halloween treat.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) room temperature butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- parchment paper
- 3 drops orange food gel
- 1 drop purple food gel
- 5 drops black food gel
- 1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese
- Heat oven to 400°F. Combine butter, sugar, egg and extract in mixer.
- Blend at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy. Add flour and salt, and blend at low speed until well mixed.
- Divide and use food coloring by mixing in each color. Three drops of orange in one set of dough. One drop of purple in the other set of
- In a stand mixer, mix together 5 drops black dye with cream cheese. Whip it well and set aside for cookie filling.
- To make the cookies, insert a 1M tip into pastry bag. Fill bag with cookie dough. Do this for each color. Warming the piping bag with your hands will help to pipe out the cookies. Do this in a rotated motion on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes, or until slightly golden. Remove to a cookie rack and let cool.
- Once cool, spread a layer of whipped cream cheese onto one cookie and add a second cookie on top like a sandwich.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
You May Also Like
DIY Halloween Pencil (Candy-Free Treat Alternative)