Comfort Food Casserole
This dish makes you feel warm on the inside when it’s cold outdoors.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp sour cream (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-fat milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- 10.75 oz. can reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup
- 14.5 oz. can diced carrots, rained
- 14.5 oz. can cut green beans, drained
- Boil a pot of water and add potatoes (make sure there is enough water to cover them).
- Allow to boil for 15 minutes or until they are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick pan.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until browned all the way through.
- Mash the potatoes with sour cream and butter (if desired).
- When the beef is cooked, remove from the heat.
- In a separate saucepan, whisk together milk and flour. Continue to stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Add the tomato soup, milk mixture, and canned vegetables to the beef.
- Coat a 9×13″ casserole dish with nonstick spray and add the meat mixture to the pan.
- Spoon mashed potatoes evenly over the top of the meat mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, 25 minutes.