It was 2 days after Christmas and I had never craved fruits and vegetables more in my life. I think I ate my weight in Christmas cookies this year! I totally got off track on my meal planning, due to so many holiday parties and family gatherings. It’s time to get back to healthy family dinners, starting with these black bean and chicken burritos.
But first, how about a little Christmas recap? 🙂
The kids couldn’t even open their stockings until Mommy took the “Stand in Front of the Tree” pic. I love how in the second one John is trying to nab Johnny’s pacifier, haha! He’s determined to potty train the little guy AND break him of the paci over winter break. I’m excited for when we get him out of diapers!
The girls got tons of great gifts, all of which are their new favoritest thing ever. Oh, and Emily wore a party hat for most of the morning. Happy birthday, Jesus!
Johnny’s aunt gave him a Thomas the Train play set. He just turned two and it’s the perfect gift for him.
John got me concert tickets (he’s so cool!) and a tripod for my camera. I can’t wait to break it in! I didn’t use it on this black bean and chicken burritos recipe, unfortunately.
Black Bean and Chicken Burritos
- 1 Tb. olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can whole tomatoes with juice
- Flour tortillas
- Avocado (optional)
- Salsa (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Saute the chicken, bell pepper and green onions in oil until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the cumin and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the black beans and tomatoes. Using the back of a spoon or a spatula, break apart the tomatoes as you stir.
- Remove from the heat.
- Arrange about ¾ cup chicken mixture in the center of each tortilla and top with salsa and avocado. Roll the tortillas into burritos.
- Tip: Use a tortilla warmer to keep tortillas hot until ready to serve!
This dinner was pretty quick and easy to put together. My little guys liked it, but they’re not very good at eating burritos so I cut their tortillas into pieces and made them burrito “bowls”. 😉
Next week I’m going to use up the leftover turkey in some enchiladas. Yum!